The US Department of Labor (DOL) is investigating possible child labor violations by Perdue Farms and Tyson Foods, two major meat and chicken processors. The investigation comes after a New York Times magazine report revealed minors working at facilities owned by both companies. While the slaughterhouses involved are not directly owned by Perdue or Tyson, the investigation raises questions about the responsibility of large companies for human rights violations and environmental pollution in their supply chains. Child labor violations have been found in other companies, like Packers Sanitation Services, but major corporations that benefited from their services were not penalized. The food and agriculture sector globally is recognized as a high-risk sector for human rights abuses and environmental pollution. Agricultural workers face low wages, informality, and dangerous working conditions. The number of people living in modern slavery continues to rise.
Frequently Asked Questions
Child Labor Investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc.: Is Supply Chain Due Diligence the Next Step?
1. What is the focus of the child labor investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc.?
The child labor investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc. is focused on potential child labor violations by the company, highlighting the need for deeper supply chain due diligence.
2. Who is Uche Ewelukwa Ofodile in relation to the Tyson Foods investigation article?
Uche Ewelukwa Ofodile is the author of the article titled "Child Labor Investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc.: Is Supply Chain Due Diligence the Next Step?" featured on JURIST.
3. When was the child labor investigation article published?
The article was published on December 6, 2023, at 04:34:49 pm.
4. Is there an emphasis on supply chain due diligence following the child labor investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc.?
Yes, the article suggests that supply chain due diligence might be a crucial next step in addressing and preventing child labor violations.
5. Where can I find more information about the child labor investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc.?
You can find more information about the child labor investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc. on JURIST's website, particularly in the commentary section authored by Uche Ewelukwa Ofodile. Here is the link to the article: Child Labor Investigation at Tyson Foods, Inc.: Is Supply Chain Due Diligence the Next Step?
6. Has Tyson Foods, Inc. been the only company investigated for child labor violations recently?
No, it is mentioned that both Tyson Foods, Inc. and Perdue Farms have had child labor violations investigated.
7. What is JURIST, and why are they reporting on Tyson Foods?
JURIST is a legal news and commentary platform run mainly by law professors and students that provides expert legal analysis and reports on legal news. They are reporting on Tyson Foods as part of their coverage of legal news and issues.