Qcells, a South Korean-owned solar panel producer, has completed its third expansion in Georgia, adding 510 jobs and increasing its manufacturing capacity. The company will now produce over 30,000 panels per day at its Dalton plant. However, the bifacial panel it produces may struggle to compete with cheaper imports due to tariffs. Qcells credited tariffs and tax incentives for its investments in Georgia. Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff and Republican Governor Brian Kemp have differing views on the impact of federal support and state policies on the company's investments.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Qcells?
Qcells is a solar panel manufacturer.
2. What is the historic Georgia expansion plans of Qcells?
Qcells plans to expand its solar module manufacturing operations in Georgia, more than doubling its production capacity and creating 2,500 new jobs.
3. When will Qcells start the expansion in Georgia?
The expansion plans were confirmed on January 11, 2023.
4. How much is Qcells investing in the Georgia expansion?
Qcells is investing $2.5 billion in the Georgia expansion.
5. What is the expected impact of Qcells' Georgia expansion?
The Qcells expansion is expected to strengthen Georgia's position in the renewable energy sector and further cement economic ties between Georgia and South Korea.
6. Where will the Qcells expansion take place in Georgia?
The Qcells expansion will include building a new facility in Cartersville and expanding its existing plant in Dalton, Georgia.
7. How many jobs will be created by the Qcells expansion?
The Qcells expansion is expected to create 2,500 new jobs in Georgia.
8. Is Qcells receiving support from Georgia state leaders for the expansion?
Yes, state leaders have expressed support for the Qcells expansion plans and the economic benefits it will bring to Georgia.
9. What is the significance of the Qcells expansion for Georgia Tech's iWorks program?
The Qcells expansion puts a focus on Georgia Tech's iWorks program, which has been involved in workforce development and supporting economic growth in the region since 2012.
10. How does Qcells plan to reduce supply chain barriers in the solar industry?
Qcells plans to reduce future supply chain barriers in the solar industry, although specific details were not provided in the search results.